|1||OVERVIEW||4.2||Arrangement A, B||5.4||New Program|
|2||INITIALIZATION||4.3||Arrangement User||6||COPY TO FLOPPY DISK OF NEW Arr/Pcg/Sty|
|3||WINDOWS||4.4||New Arrangement||7||DRUM PERCUSSION|
|3.1||General||4.5||Editing Arrangement||8||GLOBAL PARAMETERS|
|3.2||Main Window||4.6||File i5DBArr (Data Base)||9||KEYBOARD|
|3.2.1||Title Bar||4.7||Find Arrangement||10||FUNCTIONS MIDI GM|
|3.2.2||Status Bar||4.8||Printing of Arr/Pcg file||11||MIDI MESSAGES|
|3.2.3||Menu Bar||5||PROGRAM||12||NOTICE/ERRORS MESSAGES|
|4.1||General||5.3||Program U (User)|
KORG i5CMv31 (i5 Control Module, Version 3.1) is a programme devoted to control via MIDI the i5M/S Arranger/Keyboard of Korg (*) in the two Arrangement Play and Song Play working modalities.
Designed for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP (**) operating systems the programme can be used both for the partial control of Korg keyboards having the same MIDI facilities of the i5M/S as well as for customizing disks with Arrangement, Style and Program of i-series (Cut/Copy/Paste functions).
The application, by using mouse and/or keyboard, allows user to select, easily and quickly, from the pages shown on the screen of the PC, all the arrangements and programs stored in the i5M/S (Arrangement banks A, B, Program banks A, B, C, D, E, Drum, Percussion) and those available as files (.Arr and .Pcg, bank U).
A particular search function allows the selection of the desired arrangement by typing the relevant identification code (ID) made up of a 3 to 5 digits number that is automatically assigned by the programme.
Particularly interesting are the Edit functions, that allow to modify each parameter of the Arrangement and of Global Parameter.
The arrangement and program collections, normally available on the market, can be stored on the PC hard-disk and recalled when necessary without using the floppy-disk.
A printing function is available to print a table/list of Arrangement/Program.
A screen keyboard is provided to play note and chord directly from the keyboard of the Personal Computer.
The working language can be either the Italian or English.
The User's Guide is available on line.
To get the best from the programme it is necessary to have a good understanding of main facilities of the i5M/S as well as of the standard MIDI.
The present version (v 3.1), is shareware.
More information and latest news on this and other programmes are available at http://www.cpetrini.it/.
PAD file address http://www.cpetrini.it/padfiles/ i5cmv31-padfile.xml
(*) Korg is a registered trademark of Korg Inc. Japan.
(**) Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP are registered trademarks of MICROSOFT CORPORATION.
Connect the MIDI Out of the MIDI interface to the MIDI IN 1 input of the i5M (MIDI IN of i5S).
(i5M) Connect the MIDI OUT of the keyboard to the other input MIDI IN.
(i5M) By using the MIDI Thru function (par. 3.2.3) connect the MIDI OUT of he keyboard to the MIDI IN of the PC and then the MIDI OUT of the PC to MIDI IN of the i5M.
Enable the i5M/S module to receive the MIDI messages and set the 8 key modality (i5M) for the arrangement selection (please refer to the User's manual).
Select the MIDI Out device from the Menu/Preferences/MIDI Output Devices among those shown.
When running the programme for the first time the initialization file i5CMv31.ini will be created (in the installation folder); in addition the user is requested to choose the working language (Italian or English) and to accept the licence conditions.
In case of absence of the file i5DBArr (first programme execution) in the installation folder, used by the Find Arrangement (ID) function, it is necessary operate as follows:
Choose/create a single folder for all the i5M/S compatible working files (arr, pcg, sty). Open a file arr from this folder. Push the Add i5DBArr button. The current folder will be used as working field by the functions Find Arrangement (ID) (par. 4.7) and Update i5DBArr (par. 4.6). At the same time the file i5DBArr is created.
The windows represent the programme/user interface. If not differently indicated each window at beginning of a session takes the position it had when the programme was closed. With the exception of the main window in general the windows can not be resized.
The Title Bar of each window gives information in relation with the particular data being displayed.
3.2 Main Window
It is the window of the application and holds all other windows. Can be resized and moved every where in the screen. At beginning of a session takes the dimensions and the position when it had when the programme was closed.
3.2.1 Title Bar
The Title Bar shows the program name and the indication COPY NOT REGISTERED if the programme is not registered.
3.2.2 Status Bar
The Status Bar shows from the left the following information:
- Name of the programme and its version number;
- Functioning mode of i5M/S (ARR PLAY, SONG PLAY, GLOBAL);
- Message indicating the operation in progress;
- The last loaded Style;
- The last loaded Arrangement;
- The last loaded Program.
3.2.3 Menu Bar
Voices of the Menu Bar are: File, Edit, View, Window, Preferences, ?.
- New Arr: Open a window to create a new file Arr;
- New Pcg/c: Open a window to create a new file Pcg/Pcc (see par. 5.1)
- Open Arr: Open an existing file Arr;
- Open Pcg/c: Open an existing file Pcg or Pcc;
- Save: Save the opened file;
- Save As: Save the opened file with a user defined name;
- Print: Print the Arrangement names and some other data of the current file Arr
- Close: Close the opened file or the current window;
- Exit: Close all windows and terminates the session.
The following commands can be given also by using the right button of the mouse.
- Cut (Ctlr + Z or key Del): Deletes the selected Arrangement/Program in the current page. The file have to be not Read Only. The name to be deleted can not be of Arrangement A/B or Program A-E banks;
- Copy (Ctrl + C): Copies into an internal buffer the selected Arrangement/Program;
- Paste (Ctrl + V): Transfers to the destination window to the selected row the copied Arrangement/Program.
- Find Arrangement (ID): Allows the user, by typing a numeric code (ID) (par. 4.7), to find and load into the i5M/S a particular arrangement, using the information stored in the file i5DBArr.
- Update i5DBArr: To update the file (data base) i5DBArr (par. 4.6);
- Arrangement (A, B), Program (A, B, C, D, E), Drum, Percussion: Shows the banks Arrangement A, B, program A, B, C, D, E, drum and Percussion;
- Global Parameters: Shows the Global Parameters (see the i5M/S User's Guide) and allows to change them (par. 8);
- MIDI Messages: Shows the MIDI Messages trasmitted by the programme to the i5M/S (par. 11);
- i5DBArr: Open for Editing the file i5DBArr (par. 4.6);
- Keyboard: Shows a 8 octaves keyboard from C0 to C8 (par. 9).
- Language: Allows to choose the language (Italian or English);
- MIDI Output Devices: Allows the user to select the right MIDI Output Device for data transmission to i5M/S;
- MIDI Thru: Activates the function MIDI Thru. MIDI data received at MIDI input are sent to the selected Output MIDI device;
- Load Arrangement: Sends to the i5M/S all the Arrangement (User) of the Arr file being opened;
- Load Styles: Sends all the Styles associated with the file Arr being opened;
- Load Styles (New Arr): In the new Arr file creation phase allows/not allows the transmission of Styles (par. 4.4);
- Show program: Shows the Program associated with the file Arr being opened;
- Load Program: Shows and sends to the i5M/S the Program associated with the file Arr being opened. Useful when one or more Arrangement use a user Program;
- Change Program: The Program are selected by sending the program Change MIDI message (par. 5.1);
- Read Only File: The files Arr, Pcg and Pcc are opened for reading only;
- Shows Status Bar: Activates/deactivates the Staus Bar;
- Update Automatically i5DBArr: Each time a new file Arr is opened it is automatically added to i5DBArr.
- Cascade: Allows the user to see all opened windows. It can also be used to activate the required window and bring it to the front.
- User's Guide: Shows the user's Guide;
- About i5CMv31: Gives information on name/version of the program, author, state of registration.
Displays a picture of the city of Rome.
Allows the user to input the password received from the author for registering the programme;
- License text: Shows the text of the License Agreement document.
3.3 Secondary windows
They are the windows that are within the main window. Are used to choose an Arrangement, a Program, to create a new file Arr and other.
- Window User' Guide: It is resizable. When opening takes always the top left position;
- Window About i5CMv31, License Text: When opening take always the top left position;
Two pages of arrangements banks A and B are available on line. In addition 16 pages of User Arrangement (Open Arr) and 10 of New Arrangement (New Arr) can be opened at same time.
The single voices, in number of 64, are listed in four columns. On the left side of each name is shown the direct selection number of the arrangement in the 8 key modality (i5M) (second part of the ID code).
To load an Arrangement on the i5M/S and get it ready for the user the Arrangement has to be selected in the opened window. Data are stored in the U11 position that must be previously manually selected.
The Style text box holds the names of all the Styles relevant to the listed Arrangement.
To accept Arrangement data the i5M/S has to be in the STOP state.
Without having selected the position U11, provided that the i5M/S is in STOP state the arranger is anyhow able to accept the transmitted data.
- ARR PLAY: Sets the ARR PLAY modality;
- Edit: The button Edit (or double-click on the arrangement name) allows user to edit all Arrangement parameters (par. 4.5);
- Close: Close the opened window.
4.2 Arrangement A, B
Are the preset Arrangement. Are 64 in each page and cannot be canceled. Can be modified whit the Edit function. It is recommended to make a backup copy of the files i5ArrA and i5ArrB of the installation package.
4.3 Arrangement U (User)
In addition to what indicated in the par. 4.1 the windows of User Arrangement show some particularities.
To open a new Arr file from the Dialog Box proceds normally (Menu File -> Open Arr -> select filename.arr).
A + sign on the left of the listed names indicates that the relevant Style is not loaded into the i5M/S. After the transmission of the chosen Arrangement data, if the Load Style in the Menu Bar/Preferences is selected, the programme will find the relevant Style file (.Sty) and will load it into the i5M/S. This phase is indicated by "Processing File Style" and "Loading Styles" messages displayed on the Status Bar. Later the Style will be updated only if required by the new Arrangement.
Each Arrangement, if the file has not been opened with Only Read flag set, can be deleted with the Cut command or modified with Edit.
- Load All: Load all Arrangement, Style and program of current window;
- Load Arr: Load into the user bank all the Arrangement of the current window. In this case the selection of an Arrangement has to be made directly with the commands of i5M/S;
- Load Styles: Load one or more Style relevant to the Arrangement of the window. Use this functionality when the correspondance between the loaded styles and the arrangements of the page is lost (case of direct loading of a Style from a diskette);
- Load Pcg/c: Load into the U bank (Program) the Program relevant to the file Arr opened.
The text box ID shows the ID code of the selected Arrangement. Use this code to search the Arrangement (Function Find Arrangement (ID), par. 4.7).
4.4 New Arrangement
To create a new file Arrangement select New Arr from the Menu File.
A window having 64 free positions numbered from 11 to 88 is opened. The window takes the name Untitled.arr and shows the number of New Arr windows already opened (max 10).
Select from an opened Arr window (ArrA, ArrB, Arr user o New Arr) one or more Arrangement names and Copy them. Select in the new Arrangement window the position where you wish to see the selected names and choose the Paste function.
One or more Arrangement can also be deleted with Cut command and/or copied within the same window.
If user Styles are associated to the copied Arrangement they are transferred in a .Sty file that will be saved with the same name of the Arrangement.
The new file Arr has to be saved with the Save As command.
It is possible working with ten new Arr files at the same time.
To avoid sending Styles when copying Arrangement the Load Style (New Arr) line in the Menu/Preferences has to be disabled.
4.5 Editing of an Arrangement
Allows changing of all parameters of Arrangement A, B, U.
To enter in Edit push the Edit Arr button or double-click on the name.
Some parameters are immediately transferred to the i5M/S, other need to close and open again the Arrangement.
To change the name of the Arrangement select the relevant text box and write the new name on it.
The M and S buttons perform the Mute and Solo functions.
When closing the Edit window is requested to save the Arrangement if a parameter has been modified.
To change the Program select the text box where are displayed the names of the Program to be changed. The background colour will change from blak to blue. Open one or more windows of Program/Drum/Percussion to choose from and select a name. The substitution take effect immediately also when the sound module is playing.
4.6 File i5DBArr (Data Base)
The file i5DBArr stores an alphabetical ordered files Arr list with relevant identification code ID. The file is used to search a particular file Arr using its ID code. The maximum number of files i5DBArr can hold is 999.
The code is made up of two parts: the first is a number ranging from 1 to 999 assigned to the file automatically, the second is the number that whithin each file Arr identifies the single Arrangement (11, 12, ... 87, 88).
Each row of i5DBArr shows the first part of the ID code for that particular file Arr.
By using the Delete button or Del of the keyboard it is possible to cancel each name of file.
The button Open or double-click on the wanted name opens the file.
The Add All command add to i5DBArr all Arr files presents in the chosen working folder.
The function Update i5DBArr cancel from i5DBArr all the files not more present in the working folder.
4.7 Find Arrangement
Search and load into the i5M/S the Arrangement using its ID code.
The ID code is shown on the text box on the bottom of the window.
The numbers 1 and 2 are assigned to A and B banks.
4.8 Printing of Arr/Pcg file
4.8.1 Print List (Arrangement)
Print on the current printer a list of principal data assigned to each Arrangement of the Arr file opened in the current window.
- Arrangement code (11-88);
- Arrangement name;
- Style name;
- KBD2 code;
- KBD2 voice name;
- KBD1 code;
- KBD1 voice name.
4.8.2 Print Table
Print a matrix of 16 row by 4 columns of Arrangement/Program codes/names.
Six pages of Program (A, B, C, D, E) are available on line. In addition can be opened a maximum of 16 pages of User Program (Open Pcg/c) and ten pages of new Program (New Pcg/c).
The Program are related to parts DRUM, PERC, BASS, ACC 1, ACC 2, ACC 3, KB2/LOWER, KB1/UPPER if the MIDI channels number shown in the pages and those indicated in the display of the i5M/S are the same (see the i5M/S User Guide).
To load a Program into the i5M/S and make it available to the user it is necessary to select it in current page.
The Program can be loaded any time also when the sound module is playing. This makes possible the choice of differents instruments in real time. The Program is replaced if a new arrangement is loaded.
Changing a Program in the i5M/S cam be done in two different ways: using the Program Change MIDI message (case of A to E banks, U bank) or sending a block of data relevant to the Program itself into the U11 position (single User program). The two differents modalities are available from the Menu Preferences/Change program.
It is possible to create new pages of Program (New Pcg/c) containing Program from A to E banks and from User banks. The new files that have at least a program from A to e banks take the extension Pcc. These new files are not readable by i5M/S so can not be imported on it or equivalent i-serie machines.
- SONG PLAY: Set the i5M/S in SONG PLAY modality;
- Close: Close the opened window.
5.2 Program A-E
Are the factory preset Program. Are shown in number of 64 and can not be deleted. They are loaded by using the MIDI Change Program command having the MIDI channel indicated in the MIDI Channel box.
The Program of the pages A and B correspond to those of MIDI standard.
5.3 Program U (User)
To open an User program (Pcg/c) proceed as usual (Menu File -> Open Pcg/c -> File selection filename.Pcg/c).
The sign + on the left of names indicates that the program belongs to banks A to E.
The button Load Pcg/c load all the Program into the bank U of i5M/S. The process is indicated by the message "Loading programs".
5.4 New Program
To create a new file Program select New Pcg/c from the menu File. An empty page filled with 64 free positions numbered from 11 to 88 opens. The page has the name Untitled.pcg and shows a code that corresponds to the number of pages already opened (max 10).
Select from an opened page Pcg/c (banks A-E, Pcg/c user or New Pcg/c) one or more Program names. Select in the destination page (Untitled.pcg) the position where Program have to be copied and give the Paste command. One or more Program can be also deleted by the Cut command. If the Program being copied come from the banks A-E a sign + will be added to the left of the names and the file will take the exstension Pcc.
The new file have to saved with the Save As command.
6 COPY TO FLOPPY DISK OF NEW Arr/Pcg/Sty
The new files Arr/Pcg have to be copied to a floppy disk if you wish to load them into the i5M/S by using the floppy disk driver. Copy all the Arr, Sty and Pcg files having the same base name. Note that the file Sty are automatically generated by the programme when necessary. The files Pcc should not to be copied as they are not compatible with i5M/S.
7 DRUM PERCUSSION
Two pages of sixteen types of drums and percussions, stored into the i5M/S, are available on line. Can not be deleted. They are sent to i5M/S with the command Change Program and can be associated also to the melodic parts choosing in appropriate way the relevant midi channel.
8 GLOBAL PARAMETERS
Allow to edit the Global Parameters (see the i5M/S User Guide) Master Tune, Key Transpose, Global Channel, Curve Velocity/After Touch, Damper Polarity, Main Scale, Assignable Pedal 1/2 and User's scales.
A maximum of 8 configurations can be saved (User 1-8). The Default one restores the factory settings.
The button GLOBAL set in the i5M/S the mode GLOBAL.
The button RESET restores the default values in the current configuration.
Shows a 8 octaves keyboard (from C0, note number 12, to C8, note number 108). Two ways are envisaged for playing the keyboard:in the first one (Click Key check box selected) the key is pressed by clicking on it with the left mouse key; in the second one (Click Key check box not selected) the keys are pressed when the mouse arrow pass over them.
Notes MIDI messages (standard MIDI GM) are sent on the channel indicated in the MIDI Channel text box.
The values of Velocity On and Off are those of the sliders Vel On and Vel Off.
To create chords, select the Hold Note check box, push the wanted notes then press the Hold Chord button. The Chord is played at each mouse click on the keyboard.
The command All Notes Off cancel every selected note. The text box Note (Number) gives the name and the number of the selected note.
In the Arr Play mode the split point sign (vertical Arrow) indicates the keyboard separation point.
Changing the position of sliders cursors Volume, Pan, Att Time (Attack Time), Rel Time (Release Time), Bend, Pmod (Pitch Modulation), COMod (Cut Off Modulation), Reverb (Reverber) and Chorus standard MIDI messages are sent.
10 MIDI GM FUNCTIONS
In addition to the typical i5M/S functions, in certain circumstances due to the use of standard MIDI messages, the application allow to manage (keyboard window) the internal (case of the internal sound card generator) or external MIDI GM instrument. To select an internal sound card change the MIDI output device from the Windows Operating System panel.
All keyboard functions (par. 9) and Program A-E selection (par. 5.2) can be addressed to standard MIDI GM instrument.
11 MIDI MESSAGES
Most of the messages sent to i5M/S (exclusive messages included) are shown in the MIDI Messages window. The messages are coded in the exadecimal format.
12 NOTICE/ERRORS MESSAGES
Different messages are used to signal errors, to inform on the current processing activity, to request a decision.
This programme, version v 3.1 is SHAREWARE; so the user, after a trial period of one month is kindly requested to register and to send the author the sum of euros 30. Please consider that the not registered copies have some limitations (it is not possible to save changes made to an arrangement; only 5 arr file names can be stored in the i5DBArr file, some windows cannot be opened). Upon registration the user will receive a code for enabling all functions.
For two main reasons it is important to register:
1. to allow the author to know the programme widespread, very important in order to continue to devote energies to other software development;
2. to be able to communicate to users quickly new updating and products
To give comments, to register the programme or for any kind of other information please contact: